A preschool light table is a valuable asset in the classroom. If you are looking for more ideas about using it effectively or considering adding one to your classroom, here is everything you need to know about the preschool light table center!
What is a Light Table used for?
The light table is a fantastic way to entice young children to play! It engages their sense of sight, makes regular activities more fun, and can be used in a million different ways.
Often, we think of the sandbox as the only sensory table. The sense of sight is just as important as the sense of touch, though! The light table is another sensory option for young children.
Students can use it for many different objectives:
- literacy & words
- pretend play
- sensory play
Which is the BEST Light Table for a Classroom?
It depends on the space and budget that you have available. Here are a few great options:
- Whitney Brothers Light Table (with storage shelf) – This is about 24″ square and is perfect when you have a small, but dedicated space for a light table.
- Light Cube – This one is smaller than the Whitney Bros. table at 16″ square. It changes colors, but does not have an edge that keep materials on top of the cube.
- Guidecraft Light Panel – This is perfect if you don’t have a dedicated space, as the panel sits on top of another table in your classroom. It’s small and portable enough to move around and store when not in use.
- Excellerations Light Box – Another option for a small, affordable, and portable light panel.
- Spectrum Light Lab – This is the Rolls Royce of light tables. It would be perfect for a large center with lots of kids, a children’s library, or even a children’s museum.
Benefits of Use
The benefits of using a preschool light table center are almost too numerous to list! In addition to the sensory experience, children can work on:
- fine motor skills
- hand-eye coordination
- sharing space and materials
- oral language
- math concepts
- and so much more!
More Light Table Activity Ideas
Find more Light Table Center ideas here:
Q: Which light table is that in the pictures?
A: It’s a Whitney Brothers brand. The size is 24″ square, and it’s available from Constructive Playthings.
Q: Do you have to turn the room lights off to use it?
A: No, it works perfectly with the lights on, even when there is a ton of natural light.
Q: Is it bright? Does it hurt the children’s eyes?
A: This table gives off a lovely soft, LED glow. It doesn’t make you squint or leave bright spots on your eyes when you’re done playing with it. In our experience, it doesn’t hurt their eyes at all.
Q: What are those clear printed pages that you use?
A: We print some light table activities on transparency paper. You can read more about how we use it HERE. If you can’t print on transparency paper, regular copy paper also works well!
Q: What are some good light table learning centers for preschoolers?
A: You can find tons of ideas and light table ideas HERE!
Do you have a question about the light table center that wasn’t answered? Please leave it in the comments!
FREE Scope And Sequence!
After you subscribe, you will be redirected to the FREE Scope and Sequence. We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Thanks for posting about this! I read a review on Amazon that there was a problem with the electrical cord and they needed to duct tape it in place. Are you experiencing this problem? I love your preschool! so inspiring:)
Jamie White, M.Ed.
Thanks for stopping by the blog! No, we've not had any problems with the electrical cord at all. I have it tucked under the table so that the kids don't play with it, but there haven't been any problems. We've been very happy with it. 🙂
My sister runs a very successful preschool in her basement. She loves teaching, and she loves the kids, but right before school started she found out she is expecting twins. She has been terribly sick, and teaching five days a week has been a real challenge. I am going to show her this awesome blog! She would love a little help getting her lessons ready!