This sweet strawberry play dough recipe is perfect for classroom fun. Nothing is as tempting as plump, beautiful, red strawberries! Summer is on its way, so make a fresh batch of this play dough and let the fun begin.
Not only is strawberry play dough a summertime favorite, but it is great around Valentine’s Day because of its red color! Take the Best DIY Play Dough Recipe and add some powered strawberry drink mix to get the fun started.
Strawberry Play Dough Recipe
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 packet of strawberry drink mix, mixed into the water
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 TBS cream of tartar
- 1 cup flour
Mix It All Together
- mix all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly
- when the dough pulls away from the sides of the pan and forms a ball as it is being stirred, remove it from the heat
- let the dough cool and knead well
- store in an airtight container
Fun Opportunities with Strawberry Play Dough
- Read “The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear” by Don and Audry Wood. Next, put out this play dough with fruit molds and cookie cutters. The students make strawberries and cut them in half to share with each other (instead of the “big hungry bear!”)
- Make a batch of this play dough and set it out with a tray of valentine manipulatives like:
- plastic hearts
- heart-shaped cookie cutters
- mini erasers
- foam X’s and O’s
- Mix and match with a batch of the irresistible chocolate play dough for chocolate-covered strawberries!
- Make fruit pies by placing pans and dough rollers out with the play dough and watch little bakers start rolling strawberries to fill the pie tins.
There are so many engaging activities and the bonus side of all this fun is the fine motor opportunities as well as math, sensory, literacy, and more offered through play dough activities.
More Summer and Farm Resources
Pick a bunch of these fun resources to continue the classroom learning!
- Set up a Farmer’s Market in your space to sell strawberries and other fruits and vegetables
- Engage students during the hotter months with Summer Circle Time activities
- Expand on the sense of smell (those strawberries sure did smell good!) by investigating the 5 Senses circle time unit
- Early learners will have a ball with these Summer Math and Literacy centers
FREE Play Dough Recipe Book!
Play Dough is the perfect tool for developing the hand strength and fine motor muscles necessary before young children are able to write!
After you subscribe, you will be redirected to the FREE Play Dough Book. We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Picking the right activity is not a problem with engaging activities like strawberry play dough!