Sometimes, simple toys, such as KEVA planks, are deceptively unique when it comes to stretching the imagination of preschoolers. Each piece is the same size and shape. The planks are small enough for little hands to manage easily. They are uniform so that there aren’t any tricky parts to balance. And they are sturdy enough to last for years to come – making them a fantastic addition to any block center!
KEVA planks are also versatile – young children might stack them and knock them down, while older students will build more elaborate structures. To inspire students, many different pictures, plans, ideas, and guides are available, both from the company and online. KEVA planks fit seamlessly into any block center and work well on their own or with accessories such as simple toy people, different types of blocks, and loose parts.
Using KEVA Planks to Extend Learning
One of the many ways these KEVA planks are so versatile is how students can use them to extend learning skills.
- Math – Students count the planks and practice one-to-one correspondence
- Language – Building vocabulary is encouraged as students discuss how to work together, balance and support their structures.
- Literacy – Students can practice their letter skills by using the planks to form letters. Teachers can also write letters on the planks for word constructions!
- Social Skills – working together on large builds encourages students to share, take turns and interact with their peers.
- Science – The addition of a small ball (sometimes sold with the sets) can transform the KEVA planks into marble runs and chain reaction constructions, where students explore cause and effect.
Providing sturdy, child-safe, low stepstools will encourage students to reach new heights, both literally and figuratively!
FREE Curriculum Catalog!
This wonderful catalog gives you information on each of the thematic units.
After you subscribe, you will be redirected to the FREE Catalog. We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
It is easy to accessorize the planks with other blocks and items around the classroom, but they are also fun by themselves. Because they are all the same size and shape, they store easily and are quick to clean up. We also love that they are a small, family-owned, U.S. company! Read more about KEVA Planks here. They really are an asset to any block center!